Though they may not receive much attention, roofs are crucial components of our homes, they keep everything safe and secure. When it comes time for you to replace your roof in Green Bay, there are a variety of options available, including asphalt shingles, wood shakes, and clay tiles.
Today, we’re going to delve into the topic of metal roof installation, including why more homeowners are opting for this roofing material and how the weather in Green Bay impacts your roof. Before making a final decision, consider these five important points.
5 Things to Know About Metal Roofing Systems
Though metal roofs are becoming increasingly popular in Wisconsin, it’s important to understand the ins and outs of this roofing option before choosing it for your home.
#1 Understanding the Roofing System
Before swapping out your roof with a metal one, it’s important to know the parts of a metal roof. Here’s what to keep in mind:
Parts of a Metal Roof
Metal roofs are made up of multiple components that make them resilient and long lasting.
- Metal Panels: These are the actual metal sheets that make up the roof. The type you pick depends on where you live and the weather conditions.
- Flashing: This guides water away from important spots like valleys, chimneys, and skylights.
- Ridge Caps: These cover the highest point of the roof and make sure no water gets in between the panels.
- Underlayment: This is a water-resistant layer between the roof deck and the metal panels. It adds extra protection against the weather.
- Gutters and Drip Edge: These help move water away from the roof, stopping it from damaging the structure.
In short, before starting your metal roof installation, get to know the main parts of the system and understand what makes it a good choice. This way, you can make a smart decision and pick the metal roof that fits your home the best.
#2 Cost Analysis
Metal roofs generally come at a higher cost compared to other roofing systems, so it’s important to understand the associated expenses before starting your metal roof installation.
The size of your roof, the metal you pick, and the finish determine how much it costs to install a metal roof. For example, a 1,700 square foot roof will cost around $3,400 to $23,800, or $2 to $14 per square foot.
Return on Investment
In the long run, installing a metal roofing system is a good investment. When compared to standard asphalt shingle roofs, which only last 15 to 20 years, metal roofs are a better option as they last 40 to 70 years. They are sometimes less expensive to insure and require less maintenance than conventional roofs, leading to fewer repair costs and less frequent replacements.
Metal roofs are among the most energy-efficient roofing materials and can reduce your home’s cooling expenses by 10% to 25%, as they limit heat build up in the attic. Your home’s value may also rise with a metal roof, particularly if it comes with a warranty.
#3 How To Prepare For and Install a Metal Roof
Preparing For Metal Roof Installation
If you’re planning to install a metal roof, here’s what you need to do:
- Verify whether your project requires a permit or not. If a permit is required, make sure to file the correct paperwork.
- Measure your roof and get the necessary materials, such as fasteners, sealant, and panels.
- Research and find the best roofing contractor for the job. Read reviews from past clients and make sure the company is licensed and insured to work in Wisconsin.
How To Install A Metal Roofing System
Here is a general overview of the steps for proper metal roofing installation:
- Measure Your Roof:
Figure out how much material you need by measuring your roof.
- Remove Old Roofing and Fix Damage:
Take off the old roofing material and repair any damage on your roof.
- Install Underlayment:
Add a waterproof underlayment to prevent water damage to the roof deck.
- Install Metal Roofing Panels:
Install the metal panels by starting at the bottom edge of the roof and moving up.
- Install Drip Edges and Closure Strips:
Put on drip edges and closure strips to seal everything tight.
- Add Ridge Cap:
Install a ridge cap for a polished look and weatherproof finish.
- Clean Up:
Tidy up by clearing away any leftover materials or debris.
Don’t forget to have the right tools for the job like basic carpentry tools, snips, seamer, roofing nails, and proper safety gear.
#4 Benefits of Metal Roofs
To get a better understanding why these roofs are increasingly popular, let’s delve into the benefits of installing metal roofing panels:
Compared to other types of roofs, such as asphalt shingles, metal roofs are far stronger and have a longer lifespan. They are capable of enduring severe weather, which is great for areas like Green Bay that experience varying weather conditions throughout the year.
Metal roofs are absolute experts when it comes to longevity. As mentioned above, they last for decades and are more resistant to damage. They can sustain impacts and harsh weather without needing repairs.
In short, metal roof installation is a great choice, especially in places like Green Bay that experience tough weather.
A metal roof is an environmentally conscious choice because of its long lifespan, energy-efficiency, and ability to be recycled. Here are some important things to know:
- They don’t need to be replaced as often as other types of roofs.
- Metal roofs are very energy-efficient and reflect heat upward and away from buildings, reducing cooling costs in the summer.
- Additionally, they are compatible with solar panels.
Can Be Recycled
- Metal roofs are 100% recyclable. Leftover scraps, old or damaged panels, and tear off material can all be properly recycled and used to make new metal products.
- Up to 40% of metal roofs are made of recycled steel, which helps reduce carbon emissions.
- Given that metal roofs are recyclable, less waste ends up in landfills.
#5 Green Bay-Specific Considerations
Now let’s go over Wisconsin-specific factors to keep in mind before your metal roof installation:
Wisconsin experiences a variety of weather conditions, including thunderstorms, heavy snow, wind, hail, and extremely hot or cold days that can all be very tough on a roof. Due to its durability, a metal roof is a good choice for Green Bay because they can easily withstand strong winds and ice and snow.
The City of Green Bay has specific building codes and rules for roofing, meaning every project must meet certain standards. Moreover, the city requires a building permit for any new construction work, including upgrades.
Both builders and homeowners should review the city’s regulations before beginning any roof work. To ensure a simple permissions process, make sure your plans stick to building and zoning codes. Get the required permits, present your plans, and ensure that your work satisfies the requirements for city inspections. To stay on course, follow the code and plan inspections throughout the work.
In Wisconsin, choosing to switch to a metal roof is a great decision. It’s not just about the roof, it’s also about recognizing the benefits it provides to your home, checking the costs, and keeping an eye on the environment. By following these tips, you can choose a metal roof that is long lasting and durable.
Get In Touch With Us For The Best Metal Roof Installation
Prestige Roofing makes replacing your roof or installing a metal roof simple. With over 50 years of combined experience, we have completed a lot of roofing projects and promise to ensure each part of your roof is in top condition.
Our mission is to assist you with figuring out what, if any, major or minor repairs are required for your roof. Call us at (920) 672-1026 to schedule a free roof inspection in Green Bay, Wisconsin, or the surrounding area. Contact us today!