Maintaining your home’s roof is one of the most important priorities as a homeowner, especially if you intend to live in your home for years or even decades to come. It’s estimated that approximately 65% of all homeowners were likely to repair their home’s roofs following a severe storm or other weather damage, such as from a natural disaster, according to Erie Insurance. If your home has experienced recent damage after a storm, then learn how a roof repair company can help to restore your home back to its original state.
Safely and Properly Assessing Damage
After a major storm, the last thing you want to do is find yourself in a potentially dangerous or, in some cases, deadly situation. With downed power lines, floods, water main breaks, and even roof leaks, it’s best to turn to professional roof repair specialists. A roof repair company can help you to assess your current surroundings to determine any potential safety or electrical risks that require further inspection and/or repair.
Checking for Wind Damage
A professional roof repair company knows what to look for after a storm or another natural disaster, especially when assessing a roof in particular. When investigating a roof after a storm, checking for wind damage is one of the first steps to completing a thorough evaluation of the roof’s needs.
Some of the risks of wind damage include:
- Shingle issues: Curling, missing, or even cracked shingles are not uncommon after natural disasters and/or severe storm damage.
- Shakes and wooden shingle issues: Mold and rotting shingles may occur over time due to natural decomposition and/or a lack of proper maintenance.
- Chimney issues: Crumbling or loose brick may occur in unmaintained homes and properties
- Roofing cement: It’s not uncommon to notice crumbling or loose cement with improper or poor long-term maintenance
- Flat roof problems: Surface wrinkles, bubbles, tears, and cracks may be more noticeable.
Inspecting for Potential Hail Damage
Along with wind damage, a professional roofing company will also take the time to thoroughly inspect your roof for potential hail damage.
Risks of hail damage to keep in mind when having your home’s roof inspected include:
- Shingle damage: Curled and/or cracked shingles indicate that your shingles are damaged and require further inspection by a professional roofing service provider.
- Missing shingles: Missing shingles from a particular section or area of your home’s roof can also indicate that additional inspections are necessary before repair jobs or replacement work.
- Gutter buildup: Gutter buildups and downspouts that collect too much debris may also lead to bigger issues down the line with your home’s roof if left unaddressed.
Assessing Water Damage
Having the assistance and guidance of a professional roofing company is imperative whenever you have a home that has experienced a natural disaster or a severe storm. Water damage is no joke that can quickly lead to the buildup of mold, bacteria, and even potentially dangerous situations involving electricity. Additionally, water damage can also lead to roofing leaks and long-term damage when left not inspected and/or treated by the proper professionals.
Some of the ways that professional roofing companies assist with roof damage after a storm involving water include:
- Thorough inspections: Receive a thorough inspection and walkthrough of your home to determine the potential causes and entry points of leaks near your home’s roof and attic spaces.
- Gutters: A complete gutter inspection is highly recommended to make sure that your gutters are working properly and are not budding with mold or other forms of bacteria.
- Walls and flooring: Walls and flooring of a home can also provide valuable insight into which areas of a property have been impacted most by a recent storm.
- Basements and crawl areas: Inspecting the basement and crawl areas of a home is just as important as assessing the roof and attic spaces when there are issues pertaining to water damage.
Knowing what to look for and inspect after a storm when it comes to your home’s roof is essential as a homeowner. Whether your home is 1000 square feet or more than 4000 square feet, you can never be too cautious when it comes to protecting and preserving your roof for decades to come. To ensure that your home’s roof is repaired properly, reach out to our team at Prestige Roofing LLC who specialize in roofing installations, repairs, and replacements today.